Editorial Files Q and A (May 5-12)
If you had a introduction song for when you walked into work (like baseball players do when they go to bat), what song would you have? Nothing gets me more pumped up than the House of Pain’s “Jump Around.” That’d get the fans…er, coworkers…out of their seats as I walk in! But I think it’d be just as fun to walk out to Sugar Hill Gang’s “Rapper Delight,” in which I could even come up with an entrance walk.
What are you plans for Mother’s Day? Not sure I can head up north that weekend for Mother’s Day, but I do plan on making something for my mother. I never know what to get her so making something for her, like a necklace or a framed photo of my sister and I, I think she’d love that. I will be taking a few days off to help her clean the house, as we still have lots of stuff from dear Grandma Vic, bless her rested soul.
In the works:
• Working on front cover designs for this year’s Danish Festival booklet, which is scheduled to be printed June 27
• Rendering countless numbers of senior photos for our annual graduation feature (The Daily News, May 23)
• Layout of 50 + and Fabulous section, themed “Hobbies” (Daily News, May 10)
If you had a introduction song for when you walked into work (like baseball players do when they go to bat), what song would you have? That’s an easy one! If I’m walking anywhere BUT work, then I wanna hear Isaac Hayes’ theme song from the movie, “Shaft.” If it’s a work day, then the Wagner-sque “The Imperial Death March,” from the “Star Wars” movies, also known as “Darth Vader’s Theme. Dum da da, dum de da, dum de da…
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? My mom’s been dead for a few years now, and I’m currently bereft of steady female companionship of any kind, so I probably won’t be doing anything for Mother’s Day. Or maybe I’ll go to the spot we scattered my mother’s ashes and have a little talk with her. Hokey, but you never know; if the mood takes me.
In the works:
• Working on my Reality Check column on a topic to be announced later.
• Writing up Commission on Aging millage issue for our election coverage issue.
• Still trying to find time to put together story on cool, area ’80s band for Free Time
If you had a introduction song for when you walked into work (like baseball players do when they go to bat), what song would you have? My love of music made this a thought provoking question for me. Since Sting is my favorite musician, I can’t go wrong with one of his tunes. My introduction song would be “Brought to my Senses.” I love the melody and the words.
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? I plan on having my mom and sisters over to my new house for dinner and enjoy the day.
In the works:
• Tracking down a 50+ resident of the area who has an interesting hobby for 50+ and Fabulous publishing May 10
• Writing a long overdue book review of “The Nero Decree,” set during World War II
• Finalizing SHE profile of a successful college graduate who returned after starting a family and entering the workforce
If you had a introduction song for when you walked into work (like baseball players do when they go to bat), what song would you have? You could ask me this at any given time and I would have a different answer every time, but today let’s go with “Crazy In Love” by Beyonce featuring Jay-Z. From the horn fanfare to Jay-Z’s rap intro to Beyonce’s “uh oh, uh oh, uh oh” … yeah, I would probably feel pretty good about myself if someone played that song every time I walked into a room.
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? Spending the afternoon with my mom and giving her a flower basket, like I do every year. I typically buy a flower basket from the Boy Scout troop in Howard City or from King’s Trading Post, a quaint little store in Sylvester, Mecosta County. They have the most beautiful hanging flower baskets there, as well as a delicious assortment of ice creams.
In the works:
• Coordinating coverage of the May 6 election (four proposals are on the ballot here in Montcalm County pertaining to the Commission on Aging, Central Dispatch, the Montcalm Area Intermediate School District and Carson City-Crystal Area Schools).
• Coordinating coverage of upcoming high school graduations, as well as profiles about some of our most interesting high school seniors.
• Trying to catch up on emails and back burner stories I’ve lost track of while Managing Editor Darrin Clark was on vacation
If you had a introduction song for when you walked into work (like baseball players do when they go to bat), what song would you have? Sadly, this is something I have thought about on more than a handful of occasions. Luckily, my last name lends itself well to great entrance songs. “Wild Thing” by The Troggs is the obvious choice. My wife Sasha and I even walked in to our reception hall to this song. Corny, huh?
What are your plans for Mother’s Day? I think I’ve mentioned before that Sasha and I don’t really buy into all the “Hallmark holidays” and this is undoubtedly one of those. BUT, this one is unavoidable. We don’t have any plans, per se, but I’m sure there will be some gifts and all that. I also have little doubt this will result in me doing all the chores in the house as my wife relaxes with a glass of wine.
In the works:
• Greenville City Council meeting Monday at 7:30 p.m.
• Greenville Planning Commission Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
• Wrapping up a story on varicose veins for the health page